A small church with a big name
Kolfreyjustaður has from ancient times been a rectory in Fáskrúðsfjörður. The neat church building dates from 1878, together with the altar and pulpit, other possesion as the church chalice dating much longer back.
Kolfreyja is common in Fáskrúðsjförður as a place name. According to folklore, a giantess named Kolfreyja once lived nearby, used to pester the ministers of the parish the best she could.