Gallery Kolfreyja is located in the historical house of Tangi
Caps and collars in all shapes and sizes, and colors.
The creativity of the hard working people of Kolfreyja knows no boundaries.
The old interiors of Tangi now decorate Kolfreyja Gallery.

Gallerí Kolfreyja

Selected decorative arts and crafts

Behind Gallerí Kolfreyja stands a society of craftswomen and men. Up to 30 people work hard at making beautiful and diverse arts, craft and souvenirs and sell them collaboratively in Tangi in Fáskrúðsfjörður. Originality and creativity characterize these crafts which covers everything from handmade souvenirs to knitted sweaters, caps and gloves, art made of silver and so much more.

The name of the gallery is inspired after the troll Kolfreyja, which according to a local folk tale, used to seek out trouble with the villagers in Fáskrúðsfjörður, and according some, still does. 

The gallery is located at Tangi, a respectful old building that Carl D. Tulinius built in 1895 and served as a general store. Fáskrúðsfjörður's Co-Op, KFFB, has been in possession of the house since 1933 and thanks to the Co-Op, the house is now in its magnificent original state. Besides having renovated the building from the ground up, the main floor was brought to its original state and is now open for the public to see. The historian Berglind Ósk Agnarsdóttir greets visitors over the summer from 13:00 to 17:00 and tells them the story of the building as well as the story of Fáskrúðsfjörður.

Gallerí Kolfreyja is open by agreement.

Over the summer of 2016 opening hours are as follows:

14:00 - 18:00, May 17 to June 14
10:00 - 18:00, from June 15

Contact Info

Address Tangi, Hafnargata 17
Location 750 Fáskrúðsfjörður
Tel +354 852 2288
Web View Website